Dr. Prachee Dewri
Assistant Professor | Department of English
Contact (Off.): +91-11-27667458
Email Address : pracheedewri[at]hrc[dot]du[dot]ac[dot]in
Popular Music Studies, Performance History and Theory, Translation Studies, Children's Literature, Oral Literature
- Ph.D. , 2016 , Department of English, University of Delhi
- M.Phil. English , 2005 , University of Delhi
- M.A. English , 2002 , Miranda House, University of Delhi
- B.A. (Hons) English , 2000 , Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi
Assistant Professor in permanent capacity in Hansraj College since December 2004.
Papers taught include British Poetry and Drama: 14th to 17th Centuries, Modern Indian Writing in English Translation, Modern European Drama, American Literature, Literary Theory, Literature and Cinema, Language, Literature and Culture and English Language and Communication Skills.
- Liaison Officer (SC/ST), 2018-2021
- Member of North East Cell, 2019-20
- Member of Publication Committee, 2017-20
- Member of the Workload Committee (Department of English), 2017-18
- Faculty Advisor of the Cine Club (Department of English), 2017-18
- Member of North East Cell, 2017-18
- Convenor, Mentorship Programme (Arts Stream), 2017-19.
- Convenor, Arts and Commerce Admission, 2016-2017
- Teacher in charge, Department of English, 2016-2017
- Convenor, North-East Cell (2016-17)
- Nodal Officer for North-Eastern students, (2015-17)
- Teachers’ Representative on the Governing Body, 16/1/2012 to 15/12/2012
- Teacher in charge, Department of English, April 2012-December 2012
- Member of the Workload Committee (Department of English), 2006-12
- Member of Publication Committee, 2008-9
- Member of Fine Arts Society, 2006-7
- Member of Publication Committee, 2005-6
"Bishnuprasad Rava: A Study in Revolutionary Aesthetics," December 2016 (Awarded)
Project Member in independent research project supervised by Dr. Rimli Bhattacharya: “Sur Pippa: Songs in Many Tongues: Lullabies and Playsongs in Asamiya, Mizo and Kumaoni with translations into English” in 2009. Supported by the Eklavya Trust and Ratan Tata Trust. Project members: Prachee Dewri, Kristina Zama, Padmakshi Patowary and Aditi Chand.
Chapters in Books
- “IPTA and Modern Assamese Music” in Cultural Heritage of Assam Vol. 1: Modern Music. Guwahati: Rashmi Prakash, 2019. ISBN: 978-81-927066-6-5.
- “IPTA and the Music of Assam” in The Progressive Cultural Movement: A Critical History. New Delhi: SAHMAT, 2017. ISBN: 978-93-80536-60-6
- “Acceptance,” a translation of “Grahan,” an Asamiya short story by Bhabendranath Saikia in Splendour in the Grass, ed. Hiren Gohain, Delhi: Sahitya Akademi, 2010. ISBN: 978-81-260-2818-4.
- “Bishnuprasad Rava and the Rural in Assam: Inspiration and Intervention Through Music” in Review of Agrarian Studies  Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 76-98. ISSN: 2249-4405.
- “Exploration of Women’s Subjectivity and Questions of Ethnicity in Bishnuprasad Rava’s Songs” in Aitihya: The Heritage  Vol. VII, Issue-2, pp. 56-64. ISSN: 2229-5399
- “Language Problems of the Karbis,” a translation of “Karbi Janagoshthir Bhasha Samasya Aru Samadhanar Upay,” an Asamiya essay by Bidorsing Kro in Muse India: The Literary e-journal.  Issue 31. ISSN 0975-1815.
- “Lords of the Marsh,” a translation of “Pitanir Pita,” an Asamiya short story by Manorama Das Medhi in Indian Literature, Sahitya Akademi, Delhi, July/August 2009. ISSN: 0019-5804.
- “Saru Dhemali Bar Dhemali,” a translation of an Asamiya short story by Jehirul Hussain of the same name in Indian Literature, Sahitya Akademi, Delhi, July/August 2009. ISSN: 0019-5804.
- “Bishnuprasad Rava and the Sattra: Individual and Political Interventions” in the two-day international workshop on “Colonial Northeast India: Local Histories, Regional Cultures, Global Connections” held by the Universities of Delhi, Melbourne and Toronto in India International Centre Annexe, on 1st and 2nd December 2014.
- “The IPTA and the Music of Assam” in the National Symposium “Awaaz Do: The Legacy and Relevance of the Progressive Cultural Movement in India” held by SAHMAT (Safdar Hashmi Memorial Trust), in Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, New Delhi, on 13th, 14th and 15th October 2011.
- “Music of the People: A Study of the Evolution of Bishnu Prasad Rava’s Aesthetics” in the National Seminar on “Toiling Muses: Culture of the Working Class” held in English Department, Kirori Mal College, University of Delhi, on 26th and 27th November 2010.
- “Social Transition and the Deodhani Tradition among the Deoris in the Twentieth Century” in the National Seminar on “Culture of the North-East: A Historical Perspective” held in Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts, New Delhi, from 10th to 12th January 2009.
- “Translation and Questions of Identity in Assamese Children’s Literature in the Twentieth Century” in the National Conference on “Language, Literature and Culture” held in Daulat Ram College, University of Delhi, from 17th to 19th October 2006.
- Participated in a Panel Discussion on the topic “Extinction of Indigenous Languages and Cultural Change: Views from NE India” held as a part of the festival “Oral Narratives Celebrating Linguistic Diversity Of North East India” at Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts, New Delhi on 9th November 2019.
- "Transcending Cultural Boundaries: Musical Experiments in Mid-Twentieth Century Assam" as a part of the Monthly Seminar Series held by North East India Studies Programme, School of Social Sciences-1, Jawaharlal Nehru University, on 13th October 2017.
- “Music, Gender and Regional Identity” for Northeast Society of Indraprastha College for Women, University of Delhi, on 20th February 2017.
- “Performing the Popular: Music from Far and Near” at LitAmantes (Hansraj College), on 2nd February 2016.
- Attended and organised Faculty Development Workshop on Research Methodology: An Interdisciplinary Approach organised by Hansraj College on 20th and 21st January 2017.
- Attended Ph.D. Research and Writing Workshop organised by Department of English, University of Delhi, on 4th and 5th December 2014.
Orientation/Refresher Courses Attended
- Faculty Development Programme on “Feminist Theories and Human Rights” (Interdisciplinary) held in Mahatma Hansraj Faculty Development Centre, Hansraj College, Delhi, from 15th December 2018 to 28th December 2018.
- Faculty Development Programme on “Gender, Research Methods and Pedagogies” (Interdisciplinary) held in Mahatma Hansraj Faculty Development Centre, Hansraj College, Delhi, from 20th November 2018 to 3rd December 2018.
- Refresher Course on “Liberal Arts” held in UGC-HRDC, Jawaharlal Nehru University, from 26th March 2018 to 20th April 2018.
- Refresher Course on “Language, Literature and Culture” held in CPDHE (UGC-HRDC), University of Delhi, from 2nd March 2016 to 22nd March 2016.
- Orientation Course held in Academic Staff College, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, from 18th January 2012 to 17th February 2012.
Articles in Magazines:
- “Sansar Ek Manch Hai Aur Manav Iska Abhineta—Asam IPTA ka Sangeet.” (The World is a Stage and the People are the Players—The Music of the Assam IPTA) in Nukkad Janam Samvad  Vol. 13, Issue: 51-52.
- “IPTA Aur Asam Ka Sangeet” in Naya Path  Year 26, Issue: 1-2.
Publications in Newspapers:
- “Abari,” a translation of Ishan Mushahari’s Bodo short story “Abari,” in The North East Times, 2nd July, 2000.
- “The Coral Island Civilization,” a translation of Jehirul Hussain’s short story “Prabal Dwipar Sabhyata” in The North East Times, 14th November, 1999.
- “Masculine Sports,” a translation of Manorama Das Medhi’s short story “Paurush” in The North East Times, 17th October, 1999.