Ms Ruchi Sharma
Assistant Professor | Department of English
Contact (Off.): +91-11-27667458
Email Address : ruchisharma[at]hrc[dot]du[dot]ac[dot]in
Areas of research interest include Autobiography and Lifewriting, Gender Studies and Critical Theory.
- MPhil , 2005 , Department of English, University of Delhi
- MA , 2003 , Miranda House, University of Delhi
- BA , 2001 , Miranda House, University of Delhi
Currently pursuing PhD from the Department of English, University of Delhi on "Thinking the Subject of Lifewritings from the Late Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century India".
Have been teaching at Hansraj College since 2015. Previous experience includes teaching assignments at Kirori Mal College (2009-10 and 2011-2015); Jesus and Mary College (2010-11); Miranda House (2008); IP College for Women (2007-8); SGTB Khalsa College (2006-7).
Papers taught include Paper 9: Literary Theory and Criticism; Paper 1: Indian Classical Literature and Paper 2: European Classical Literature.
- Contributed to setting of question papers for Literary Theory in Nov 2019 and BA (Prog) Advanced English IV Sem year in April 2019.
- Appointed as External Examiner for the practical exam of BA Prog Sem VI Mass Communication paper in April 2018 at Jesus and Mary College, University of Delhi.
- Appointed as External Examiner for the practical exam of BA Prog Sem V Mass Communication I paper in Nov 2018 at Jesus and Mary College, University of Delhi.
- Editorial member of the Publications Committee for the Annual Report of Hansraj College and Hansraj College Magazine, "Hans" (2015 - date)
- Editor of Hansvision, in-house journal of Hansraj College (2016 - date)
- Coordinator for Add-on Course on Media and Communication Studies, Hansraj College (2016-17)
- Participated in the activities of Prayas, the Enabling Unit of Kirori Mal College during Lehar 2015 and Parivartan, the Gender Forum of Kirori Mal College (2013-15)
- Worked for the Jesus and Mary Education Program JMCEP (2010-11), organizing students to teach underprivileged children from areas adjoining the college
Pursuing PhD on "Thinking the Subject of Lifewritings from the Late Nineteenth and Early Twentieth Century India" from the Dept of English, University of Delhi.
Coedited Book: Who’s Afraid of Women’s Writing: Select Texts. Ed. Ruchi Sharma and Swati Moitra. Worldview, 2021.
Chapters in Books:
- “Playing at Riches, Choosing Indigence: The Subject of Desire in the Poetry of Emily Dickinson”. Who’s Afraid of Women’s Writing: Select Texts. Ed. Ruchi Sharma and Swati Moitra. Worldview, 2021.
- “Tending to Zero: The Self in Gandhi’s Experiments with Truth”. Claiming the I: Autobiographies From Across the Spectrum. Ed. Meenakshi Malhotra. Worldview, 2019.
- “Refusal of Suffering: the Atheistic ‘Stage’ in Annie Besant’s Autobiography. Claiming the I: Autobiographies From Across the Spectrum Ed. Meenakshi Malhotra. Worldview, 2019
- “When the Muse takes up the Poet’s Pen: The Case of Anne Bradstreet”. Revisiting American Literature: Select Short Stories and Poems. Ed Prem Kumari Srivastava and Nidhi Madan. Pan Macmillan India , 2018.
- “The Faithful Dissident: Pandita Ramabai” in Representing Self, Critiquing Society: Selected Lifewritings by Women. Ed. Meenakshi Malhotra. New Delhi: Worldview, 2016.
- “‘Humanism’ as a Political Method in Bessie Head’s ‘The Collector of Treasures.’” A Warble of Postcolonial Voices: An Anthology, Vol. 1: Short Stories. Ed. Someshwar Sati. New Delhi: Worldview, 2015.
“Traumatic Memories and Community Identity: Witness Accounts of the Partition.” Creative Forum 23.1-2, 2010.
1. Presented paper titled "Measured out with Coffee Spoons: Calibrated Wonder of the Modern Subject" at "Time, Doubt and Wonder: A Workshop" organised by the Department of English, University of Delhi on Febraury 27, 2019.
2. Presented paper titled “The Partitioned Subject in Survivor Accounts” at UGC National Seminar titled “Intersections: History and Literature” at the Delhi College of Arts and Commerce on 12 March 2014.
Presented paper titled “Romantic Love and Its Discontents” for a panel discussion on gender issues in India during Nazariya 2015 (annual fest organized by the gender forum) at Kirori Mal College on 11 February 2015.
Participated in one week online Interdisciplinary Faculty Development Programme on “Roadmap For Building New India with New Education Policy” being organized by IQAC, Hansraj College in collaboration with Mahatma Hansraj Faculty Development Centre (MHRFDC), Hansraj College during 21st – 25th July, 2021.
Participated in an interdisciplinary FDP on Gender, Research Methods and Pedagogies organized by Mahatma Hansraj Faculty Development Centre from 20th Nov 2018 to 3rd Dec 2018.
Participated in FDP for the SEC, “Creative Writing, Book & Media Reviews” organized by Motilal Nehru College on 8 April 2017.
- Participated in FDP for GE paper, “Language and Linguistics” organized by the Department of English, Daulat Ram College on 24 March, 2017.
- Participated in FDP titled “Research Methodology: An Interdisciplinary Approach” organized by the Department of English, Hansraj College from 20 – 21 January 2017.
- Participated in Faculty Development Program on Teaching English Communication Skills co-hosted by the Department of English, Kamla Nehru College and Regional English Language Office, US Embassy from November 16-18, 2015.
- Participated in Workshop on Information Literacy and Competency, organized by Delhi University Library System, University of Delhi on 5 December 2014.